• ¾ cup whole-milk Greek yogurt
• 2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
• 1/2 tsp. sugar
• Kosher salt
• 1 cup red lentils (masoor dal)
• 2 small zucchinis
• ½ medium onion, thinly sliced
• 1¾ tsp. kosher salt, divided, plus more
• ½ tsp. Kashmiri chile powder or ¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
• ¼ tsp. ground turmeric
• 1 cup parsley leaves with tender stems
• 1 Tbsp. finely grated lemon zest
• 1 cup vegetable oil
• Whisk yogurt, lemon juice, and sugar in a small bowl to combine. Season with salt and whisk again to combine.
• Yogurt can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill.
Fritters• Rinse lentils, then soak in 2 cups water at room temperature at least 1 hour and up to 12. Soaking the lentils for this long will make them super-plump and tender, which in turn makes them a lot easier to blend.
• Meanwhile, trim ends of zucchini and cut crosswise into 2-inch long pieces. And slice into ¼-inch thick matchsticks.
• Transfer zucchini to a colander set in a medium bowl. Add onion and 1 tsp. salt to colander and toss to combine.
• Let zucchini and onion sit until about 1 Tbsp. liquid has released and the vegetables look wilted and soft, 30 minutes to 1 hour). Gently pat dry with paper towels to remove any excess moisture. The less moisture in the veggies, the more crispy your fritters will be.
• Drain lentils and transfer to a food processor. Add chile powder, turmeric, and ¾ tsp. salt. Pulse, scraping down sides, until a coarse purée forms.
• Transfer to a medium bowl and add zucchini and onion mixture, parsley, and lemon zest. Toss well to combine.
• Heat oil in a 10-inch cast-iron skillet over medium-high.
• Working in batches, carefully drop 2 to 3 ( 1/4 cup-size batter) into the oil. then flatten to a pancake with the back of a large metal spoon dipped into the hot oil to prevent sticking.
• Fry fritter until deep golden brown on one side, about 3 minutes. Turn with a slotted spatula and fry until deep golden brown on the second side, about 3 minutes more.
• Transfer fritters to a wire rack set in a paper towel-lined baking sheet to drain. Season immediately with salt.
• Repeat with remaining batter (you should have 8–10 fritters).
• Transfer fritters to a platter. Serve hot with lemony yogurt alongside.